Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Busy Month

I honestly did not intend to take a month long hiatus from the blogging world. Sorry guys! Life has been busy and good and we've been doing lots of fun things, but for whatever reason, I wasn't inclined or motivated to blog about it. And even though I would like to be consistent, I also never want this blog to feel like a chore.

So, for a very brief recap - Drew and I have seen some good theatre, judged a talent show, taken day trips, exercised a lot, saw the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in Bentonville, AR, had beers and food with friends, spent time with friends that will be moving away from us soon.....sigh.....it's been a fulfilling month for sure. But, honestly, we haven't focused as much time on cooking. I think that we always eat well, but dinner has become more relaxed and not necessarily the center of our evenings. In a way, it's been a nice break. We are still trying to lessen our portion sizes and honestly, that seems to be the biggest struggle sometimes.

As Drew was loading the pics of meals we've taken over the past month onto the computer, I became excited again. I remembered how much I enjoyed them and that alone is a great reason to document what you eat! ha! We have not been very diligent in photographing our meals over the past month, but we did snap a few, so here are a couple of meals we enjoyed.

First of all, we've had some great food dining out lately. Dining out vegan in the Little Rock area isn't always easy, but we've found a few little gems.

On Valentine's Day, we enjoyed the spicy Thai panang curry with tofu at Lilly's Dim Sum. This is one of our favorite dishes to order in Little Rock - mixed vegetables and tofu in a spicy curry sauce over ramen noodles. Lilly's is great, although a little on the pricey side for a regular evening out, so it was the perfect spot for a Valentine's Day treat. Sorry for the blurry photo, but I didn't want to be the asshole snapping flash photos in the restaurant on Valentine's Day.


Another great local place that we love to eat is The Root Cafe. It's one of the few places in Little Rock that actually mentions how to order their dishes to be vegan in their menu. They have a couple of great sandwiches that are already vegan, with the exception of mayonnaise, which they will gladly sub vegan mayo! My favorite is the spicy bahn mi sandwich - fried tofu, house pickled carrot and daikon radish, fresh cilantro, jalapenos seeded & thinly sliced, hoisin sauce, sriracha and vegan mayo on a baguette - served up with a green salad. I crave this sandwich on a regular basis!

Just last weekend, we took a trip to Fayetteville, AR to check out the Crystal Bridges Art Museum in the nearby town of Bentonville. While in Fayetteville, we hit up the Mellow Mushroom for some awesome vegan pizza. Now, I haven't been to a Mellow Mushroom since my days in the Carolinas, so not only was the pizza delicious, it was nostalgic eating there too. There are little tasty bites of BBQ tofu on that pizza! Oh and Crystal Bridges was amazing. The building alone is a work of art. If you are in the area, I highly recommend it!


Now onto the food we made...

This was a simple and tasty meal of stuffed peppers and salad. The peppers were filled with a mixture of brown rice, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, black beans, green peas, and black olives topped with Daiya cheddar shreds. We enjoyed them with a green side salad and vegan ranch dressing from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. I've tried a few vegan ranch recipes and this one is probably my favorite. The only thing that I think is kind of strange about the various vegan ranch dressings I've tried is that they are all oddly sweet and usually call for agave nectar in the recipe. I think the next time I make it, I will leave it out altogether. I just don't believe it's necessary to achieve the ranch flavor.


This dish is from The Happy Herbivore - Cheater Pad Thai. This meal was quick, easy and really really good. Rice noodles are coated in a tasty peanut sauce and topped with sauteed tempeh cubes and crispy mung bean sprouts. Dee-lish!


That's all for the recap today. I'll try to catch up on some more meals tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I need that bahn mi sandwich!
And your stuffed pepper looks deeelicious!

The Chicago diner cookbook has their ranch recipe and when i was in Chicago last month, I could not get enough of that delicious stuff!

Bianca said...

I was wondering if you were ever gonna blog again! We NEED to eat at the Root when I come to visit!!!

Blogs said...


Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

petitchef.com