Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Playing Catch Up

I've fallen a little behind on posting lately and just realized how many pictures were sitting in my camera waiting to be blogged about! When I first started blogging a few months ago, I could never remember to take pictures.....and now there are too many pictures, hahah, so I'm just going to throw them all into one post and hopefully become a little more regular with posting in the near future.
I don't normally post about breakfast, but between the two of us, we were able to snag a couple of breakfast pics!

1. On the Glow Basic Oatmeal Squares from Oh She Glows. I made a batch of these a couple of weeks ago for us to enjoy for breakfast each morning and we really enjoyed them. Loaded with oats and flax seeds, these soft, chewy squares were tasty and healthy. The recipe calls for chia seeds, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used hemp seeds instead. Angela recommends splitting them open and smearing them with a little nut butter and jam, which is the way I enjoyed them. This is Drew's pic though and he opted for some peanut butter spread on top with a drizzle of agave. Yum yum!


2. Kroger VEGAN Bagels with cream cheese spread and Cafe au lait. On a recent trip to the store, I remembered a post I saw on The Laziest Vegans in the World about Kroger brand bagels being vegan and actually saying it on the bag! I was stoked to find that our Kroger had some in stock. There wasn't a whole wheat variety, which is what I would usually pick, but I was excited that they were plainly labeled "vegan" and wanted to give them a try. I smashed some Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese up with some chopped green onions, a spoonful of vegenaise and a sprinkling of dried dill to spread on our bagels with some juicy tomato slices on the side. Drew whipped up some cafe au laits, using soymilk, for us as well. These bagels were awesome - a great Sunday morning treat!


3. Simple Sesame Noodles from The Cutting Edge of Ordinary with tempeh and cabbage . This meal was meant to be a dish to have on hand for quick lunches throughout the week, but we liked it so much, we ate it for dinner, lunch and everything in between. Needless to say, it didn't last long. The recipe is just for the noodles, but I decided to bulk it up with some steamed cabbage and cubed tempeh. I used Isa's preparation of tempeh from her Cozy Collards & Tempeh recipe on The PPK, just because I love the simple flavors she pairs together. It's my go-to way to prepare tempeh if I just want to add it to a dish. It may not look all that exciting, but it is straight up delicious.


4. Red Thai Tofu with wild rice from Veggie Bon Vivant. I really enjoyed this dish. The flavors were mild and subtle and everything worked really well together. The recipe suggests pairing the tofu with rice noodles, but we had some wild rice hanging out in the pantry, so I used that instead. Since the sauce was so mild, I actually really liked the bold flavors of the wild rice with this.


5. African Kale and Yam Soup over polenta from The Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon. Wowee! I received Happy Herbivore as a Christmas gift, but have not gotten around to making something from it until now and I'm so glad this was our first taste of the book. The broth is silky and smooth with earthy kale and tender chunks of sweet potato (what we used instead of yams). The polenta was a last minute decision and I'm so glad we did because I loved how it soaked up the broth. I imagine this will become a regular dish around our house.


6. Baked Potato covered in Amy's Spicy Chili sprinkled with a little Daiya cheddar, Tofutti better than sour cream and green onions. I know you can't see it, but there is a little baked potato hiding under there somewhere. This was easy-peasy and so good. A great way to use convenience foods for a quick, healthy meal. I got an iPhone as an early Valentine's gift and downloaded the MyFitnessPal app, which has a ton of vegan foods already in their database. It's so quick and easy to calculate calories with it and I found out that our chili covered baked potato meal was about 475 calories. Not too bad for such a hearty, filling meal!


3 comments:

Bianca said...

That yam & greens soup has been on my to-make list for waayyyyyy too long! I need to do it! And Drew's PB/agave-covered oat bar makes me want breakfast again, even though I'm eating lunch right now.

Jenny said...

Your blog looks good - as does ALL of the food as I am catching up on my blog reading. I need to get me one of those photo lights.

Margaret said...

Amazing! I also wanted to lick the screen as I'm on day 22 of my 30-40 juice cleanse. Always looking for inspiration for meals to fix my family. Thank you!!
http://veganrawfood.net