Tuesday, February 7, 2012

No Football, but Lots of Food and Fun!

Sooooo.....we didn't actually watch the Super Bowl. We intended to, but Drew and I don't have cable, so we tried to stream it online and it just wasn't happening. After an hour or so of glitchy coverage, we gave up and decided we would just check the score later. Neither one of us are really into football, but we were still going to try to watch just to say we did. Hehehee...

Our friend Joel joined us for the evening, so there was still plenty of fun, gameday food to be consumed! Since our entertainment for the evening wasn't working out, we scrolled through Netflix and decided to check out a Comedy Central show called Workaholics. Funny funny stuff. It's pretty crass, gross humor, so if that's not your thing, I don't recommend it...but we laughed our butts off!

Our snacks for the evening were pretty traditional and super yummy! First off, a tried and true standby - Gardein Buffalo Wings! It doesn't get much better taste and convenience wise than these little guys. We served them up with celery sticks, natch, and Vegan Ranch Dressing from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnounin. I have never made homemade ranch before and this was good, but a little too sweet for my taste. The recipe calls for a tablespoon of agave, so I will be adding less next time we make it. I tossed in some extra apple cider vinegar to try to help balance the sweetness and that seemed to do the trick. Drew also really enjoyed dipping some Ruffles potato chips in it.


Next up was this awesome Kraut Baked Spinach Dip from Healthy Happy Life. This stuff was so so good! I was curious how the sauerkraut would taste in comparison to a more traditional spinach artichoke dip and I really loved the flavor combination. This was also my first time cooking with truffle oil and I am totally hooked. We scooped this up with some Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips. This dip is also good cold and it reheated very well the next day. Love it!


And finally - some good old chips, queso and salsa. The queso is actually Vegan Pimento Cheese Fondue from Healthy Slow Cooking, but I heated it on the stove top instead of in the slow cooker and added a can of rotel instead of the pimentos. Oh my goodness, this tasted so much like the velveeta "rotel dip" of my childhood. Now, I love a good noochy cheese sauce, but the texture and taste of this dip was definitely spot on for a cheesy queso dip. I still want to make it the recommended way with pimentos too, because I know that will make for some delightful bread dipping.


Even though we didn't watch the game, it was a great excuse to eat snacks for dinner and enjoy some TV time with a good friend and that is certainly nothing to complain about!

Did you make snacks for the Super Bowl? What are your favorite gameday treats?

2 comments:

and_i_say said...

That queso looks awesome! I'll have to consider that next year for the game.

Bianca said...

Yum! That dip, man. Damn, that looks good! And I'm glad you tried the kraut dip. I wanted to make that for the Superbowl, but I didn't.